Reading in foster families
“This research was commissioned by BookTrust and undertaken by the National Children’s Bureau (NCB) to find out more about carers’ reading habits and attitudes, how they engage with reading with their children (particularly reading for pleasure), any barriers they face and any support that they need.
Key findings include:
- Foster carers are important reading role models for children.
- 90% of foster carers who read with their child reported that it had made a positive difference to the relationship between them and their child.
- Carers reported several barriers to reading in foster families.
- Placement stability is related to children’s reading abilities (as reported by carers).
- Carers would benefit from further support to help their children with reading."
Katie Rix, Jo Lea and Amy Edwards. Reading in foster families. BookTrust, 2017.