Museums Change Lives
Museums Change Lives is the Museum Association's vision for the increased social impact of museums.
It explores impacts under three headings: Wellbeing; Better places; Ideas and people.
The vision is based on the following principles:
- Every museum is different, but all can find ways of maximising their social impact
- Everyone has the right to meaningful participation in the life and work of museums
- Audiences are creators as well as consumers of knowledge; their insights and expertise enrich and transform the museum experience for others
- Active public participation changes museums for the better
- Museums foster questioning, debate and critical thinking
- Good museums offer excellent experiences that meet public needs
- Effective museums engage with contemporary issues
- Social justice is at the heart of the impact of museums
- Museums are not neutral spaces
- Museums are rooted in places and contribute to local distinctiveness.
- An outline of the vision
- Web resource case studies
- Further case studies published January 2015
- "Over to you" - practical actions for museums
- Museums Change Lives full report.
In Nov 2016, they uploaded the first in a series of videos that illustrate how museums are increasing their social impact.